• Increase your water intake
• Boil water with freshly cut ginger and add lemon and honey (ginger: to breakdown and expel mucus; lemon: rich in Vitamin C; honey: antibacterial & antiviral and soothes a sore throat)
• Drink hot water with apple cider vinegar (1 tsp) and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper (The vinegar is alkalizing which can balance body pH if too acidic, reducing inflammation; cayenne pepper is very warming and rich in Vitamin C)
• Eat warming foods
• Get lots of rest and sleep; sunshine for Vitamin D
• Continue with slow, gentle exercise or stretch to facilitate movement of lymph only if you normally exercise. (However now is not the time to start exercising, ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE A FEVER!!!).
• Take a hot bath then wrap up to sweat the pathogens out of your system. (Don’t wet your hair or stay in for too long.)
• Gargle with warm salt water.
• Neti pot, always boil water first, then cool before using.
Supplements which help:
• Vitamin C
• Garlic -nature’s antibiotic
• Echinacea & Goldenseal–Echinacea: helps to fight infection; Goldenseal inhibits mucus formation. Do not take continuously.
• Grapefruit seed extract stimulates your immune system
• Zinc/Echinacea lozenges–for sore throats
Daily wellness tips:
• Avoid all processed foods—reduce intake of wheat, sugar and dairy; raw dairy ok.
• Eat lots of organic vegetables and some fruit in as many different colors as you can
• Begin every day with a freshly made juice—leafy greens with a little carrot, apple, and ginger root
• Avoid animal products that contain growth hormones or antibiotics
• Eat sprouted seeds daily
• Natural Treatments for Coughs, Colds and Flu by Gabrielle Traub, M.Tech (Hom), CCH, HD (Hon)
• Homeopathic Self-Care by Robert Ullman, N.D. and Judyth Reichenberg-Ullman, N.D.
• Contagion Season!, by Mary Aspinwall, CHOM, Homeopathy Today, Winter 2011